Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Lessons from a recovered alcoholic

Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski

I once asked a recovered alcoholic with many years of sobriety to share his experiences with a newcomer who was unable to understand how, after so many years of dependence on alcohol, someone under stress could avoid recourse to drink.
"It's simple," the veteran said. "Every morning when I get up, I ask God to help me stay sober one more day. Every night when I retire, I thank Him for having given me another day of sobriety, and hope that He will do the same for me tomorrow."
The novice listened in partial disbelief. "How do you know it was God that gave you the day of sobriety?" he asked.
 
The old-timer responded, "How stupid can you get? I hadn't asked anyone else!"
It is amazing how we sometimes complicate things that are quite simple.
Each night we entrust our weary soul to God, and each morning He not only returns it to us, but gives it to us in a refreshed state. Indeed, if we ask Him sincerely to cleanse it for us by removing the sins that stained it during the day, we can be assured that this request too will be granted, as long as it is sincere - because an honest request constitutes teshuvah, and the combination of repentance and faith is certain to earn us forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment